Monk Office Over The Years
We’ve been serving you in Victoria and on Vancouver Island for more than 60 years. And we’re very proud of it.
Our very first store opened in 1951 under the name, Murphy Stationery, in the heart of downtown Victoria. It was run under the successful guidance of Charlie Monk, who in 1956, bought the company and changed the name to Monk Office Supply. Charlie Monk sold to Ron McKenzie shortly thereafter, and it has stayed in the family ever since. We started out with one location on Broad St., and have since expanded to six locations in Victoria, Sidney, and four up island in Duncan, Port Hardy, Campbell River, and Courtenay, and furniture showroom in Nanaimo.
Thanks to the support of our loyal customers over the years. We have been locally owned and operated for six decades, garnering both time and experience helping our customers meet their business needs.
Here’s a bit of our historical Timeline:
- 1978 — We open our flagship retail store at the corner of Fort and Blanshard
- 1981 — We build a 22,000 sq ft. building at 3335 Oak Street in Victoria
- 1985 — We open our third retail store on View Street in Victoria
- 1988 — We open our fourth store at University Heights Shopping Centre in Victoria
- 1992 — James McKenzie, son of Ron McKenzie, and Ross Hill become new owners
- 1994 — We move our distribution centre to 800 Viewfield Road, now home to stationery distribution, furniture warehouse and head office
- 1995 — We expand on Vancouver Island through purchasing Lindsays Stationery stores
- 2002 — We cut the ribbon to open our Broadmead Village store in Victoria
- 2005 — We proudly open our new Furniture Idea Showroom, second floor of our Oak Street Store and expand our distribution centre another 4,000 square feet to support our expanded furniture offering.
- 2007 — We move store locations from Broadmead to Royal Oak and from University Heights to Tuscany Village.
- 2010 — We acquired an exclusive dealership with Konica Minolta for Vancouver Island
- 2011 — Our healthcare showroom opens at the Oak St. Location.
- 2012 — Office Interiors showroom opens in Nanaimo.